Monday, March 28, 2011

Coming Along

Jorg tilling the new plot!

We had our starters burst out of our little soda bottle green houses. I have had one plot ready since December for our beloved pumpkins! But that just won't fit it all:
  • sunflowers
  • calendula
  • salvia
  • echinacea
  • sugar peas
  • big max pumpkins 
  • cucumbers
  • dill
  • basil
  • zucchini
  • tomatoes
  • okra
  • bell pepper
  • corn
  • watermelon
  • peppers
So we are going to need a few more plots :P, to say the least.
   
three plots
We have three plots getting there. One for pumpkins, one for flowers, and one for cucumbers and basil. We also started working on a spiral garden. I was looking for ideas on the internet late last night and I wish I could remember where I saw it... but it was a herb garden on a mound of dirt with rocks outlining a spiral. I want to do a root one and an herbal. I haven't decided on carrots or radishes. But we are definitely doing red onions. RED ONIONS everywhere.

Sugar peas, sage, and lemon balm         

We got our sugar peas ready to go! I am really excited about this gardening. My daughter loves it, she's starting to like getting her hands dirty. We spend most of the day outside as a family trying to get the land ready and we work together. This urban homestead is bringing my family together!

Our pumpkins! Itsy bitsy ones!
Now our pumpkins will spread over a few different plots because they are what we love growing the most. Besides making delicious pies, butter, cookies, risottos, etc. they are our Halloween thing! We carve pumpkins to the extreme! We are hoping to get a nice 100lber to carve into the death star this year.
unincorporated backyard: future fire pit and earth oven area
More unincorporated backyard: future clothesline and My girls play area



We still have a lot of work to do :)





2 comments:

  1. Wow! You guys sure have a wonderful plan! It will probably be a lot of work, but I know you'll enjoy it. ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We are already having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete