Thursday, March 24, 2011

DIY Laundry Detergent




My family goes through clothes like they are going out of style (pun... almost!!!) 

We aren't a "don't play in the dirt" kind of family. We play in the dirt, especially if its muddy. That's so much better. My two year old very much likes our policy. So there are is at least a load of laundry a day and if I skip a day. Its like the laundry multiplies like bunnies... there dirty laundry pouring out of every room like some kinda horror film! I got tired of buying detergent every week. Buy the cheapest stuff cause I wanted to save money and not knowing if it would be itchy or clean well, etc. Surely, there had to be a better way. So far this is the cheapest way to do laundry, cleans as well as anything out there, and its a family affair to make once a month! 

I searched and couldn't find washing soda which is what a lot of recipes call for. I use baking soda, which I know isn't the same thing, but it works just fine. 

Ingredients
1/2 C. Baking Soda/Washing Soda
1/2 C. Borax
1 C. Fels Naptha


Method
1. Grate the Fels Naptha into a fine powder
2. Mix well with baking soda and borax 
3. Store in a container.

Use 2 Tbs per load.


Add white vinegar as you would fabric softener. It makes the clothes rinse clean, deodorizes them, and leaves them nice a soft. I use vinegar to clean almost everything (its absolutely amazing!) so I just throw all my used vinegary cleaning rags in with the load.


I have been researching dryer sheet replacements and have made a bean bag satchel filled with lavender with two safety pins on each. Sounds weird? but so far there's no static and the clothes smell like lavender tea.

There's a one recipe I still wanna try out, DIY dish washing cleaner... hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment