Thursday, March 24, 2011

Happy Saint Patricks Day!

 
My Daughter in here St. Patty's Outfit!
 Anyone who knows me, knows I have absolutely been in love with all and anything Irish since middle school. I usually do it up big... lots of Irish decoration, green desserts, green snacks, green drinks (whether they are adult or children's), lots of Irish costumes, Irish stories, etc. But this year, we have alot on our plates as it is, so I kept it simple. We got our green on and those who hadn't yet done so were brutally pinched! Muahaha!


It started as a wonderful day! Teaching my daughter to say: "happy saint patricks day", "top o' the morning to you", "Tabhair 'om pog, is Eireannach me" ("Kiss me I'm Irish!" in Gaelic), and "Beannachtai na Feile Paraic oraibh!" (St. Patrick's Blessing upon you!). I told you I am in to it. I thought we'd walk to the store and get some miscellaneous items when we stopped at the McDonald's play place, my daughter's favorite place to play! We went in, ate a fruit salad, shared their shamrock shake, and she played for about an hour. Just as I was getting ready to get her to go. A little boy scratch attacks her and bites her! She had a perfect outline of his teeth on her arm and he face was covered in scratches. I go and get her put ice on her bite and comforts her before I go to talk to his parents. But they bolted as soon as they heard he'd bit her. My daughter totally deserved an apology! It made me mad that someone won't teach their kids that there a consequences to hurting others. I have been told to call the police and get security footage and hunt them down. But though I'd like nothing better to avenge my daughter, he was a little boy! Kids do dumb things. They bite, hit, say mean things, it happens. My daughter was hurt but she didn't incur medical expenses. I am not hunting them down to force an apology or get their son on record as being a biter. Its a bit much in my opinion.

We salvaged the day after that. I totally  My daughter had her first taste of corned beef and cabbage. She loved the corned beef and cabbage. She gobbled down more than all of us, okay maybe not because its everyone's favorite! I have a small freezer full. Honestly though, if I had my way I'd have gotten a deep freeze just to store all the 99cent a pound corned beef I could find! I'll be the reason they are all out, Muahahaha!
The traditional meal for today!
For anyone, who has no clue how to cook this marvelous meal, here's a recipe:

Ingredients

  • 3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
  • 10 small red potatoes
  • 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
  • 1 large head cabbage, cut into small wedges

Directions

  1. Place corned beef in large pot or Dutch oven and cover with water. Add the spice packet that came with the corned beef. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound or until tender.
  2. Add whole potatoes and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are almost tender. Add cabbage and cook for 15 more minutes. Remove meat and let rest 15 minutes.
  3. Place vegetables in a bowl and cover. Add as much broth (cooking liquid reserved in the Dutch oven or large pot) as you want. Slice meat across the grain. 
Corned Beef and Cabbage I Recipe At AllRecipe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment