Sunday, April 3, 2011

Is it Sunday already?

Static Shock Slide!
Or rather the end of Sunday? My Jorg took an extra day off and we have had just the most wonderful past 3 days. My Girl enjoyed all the extra family time too. We went to the park, picked up books at the library on composting, foraged the neighborhood for dandelions and seeds and got a ton of cardboard from the grocery store I used to work at for the compost pile. Truth be told we did have to spend money this weekend but I'll post more about that on Tuesday.


Grandma sent us these wonderful quilts she found at a yardsale! One for My Girl and one of Soon to be My Boy (in July he debuts). They are so beautiful and My Girl went crazy for hers, she demanded to put it on her bed and went to bed without a fuss for the past couple days just because of this quilt!


The Root Spiral has SPROUTED!!! Those are radishes, I have red onion planted in it and like 5 carrots too. Mostly onions and radishes. I was so excited to see it sprout which means my root spiral is successful so far and it looks like the herbal spiral in the future.

We worked on the backyard for a while this weekend with a few goals of building the container garden area that my Mom really wants to grow her tomatoes in. She can grow tomatoes like a pro but thats the only thing she has a super green thumb for lol. It needs about six more pavers and she has the joining patio too. We had a issue with perhaps the hose being pulled through the container garden and knocking the pots over, we solved this by burying a foot board from an old futon on the side of it. We are going to do the same at the other end for a "bed" look, clever eh? (my Jorg's idea).
Building my Mother's container garden and getting our Compost Pile started. We didn't get as far as I idealized but we did get a lot done. The weeds were very thick near the patio. But we read the books we got at the library about composting and got wonderful advice from the facebook homesteading group I'm in, and found a location we wanted. We expect to be turning our pile by next week. We still want to build a 3/4 cage around it. We have started saving vegetable peelings, egg shells, egg cartons, citrus peels, and tea bags.

I also had to replenish my rosemary cleaning spray and made some homemade air freshener. Here's the recipes for them.

Rosemary Cleanser
7 large bushy rosemary braches
1 Qt of water

1. Simmer the 2 in a pot for about an hour.

2. Strain through cheesecloth (I don't have cheesecloth, I use a cloth dish towel. Whatever you can use to make sure the plant bits don't get in with the liquid)

3. Put about a 1/4 tsp of natural dish soap (this makes it cut through grease)

4. Pour into a spray bottle after its cooled.

Lavender Air Freshener Spray
(This recipe I got from a book at the library, 1,001 Old-Time Household Hints: Timeless Bits of Household Wisdom for Today's Home and Garden by the Editors of Yankee Magazine, p53)

5 Tbs lavender flowers
1/2 teaspoon mace (I didn't use this)
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves (I used whole allspice)
1/4 teaspoon saffron (I didn't use this)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (I didn't use this)

1. Simmer in a pot with water for 60 minutes

2. Strain.

3. Put in spray bottle.

This is the first time I have made it and I have only used it once or twice but it smells great. Amazing when its simmering!

Chicken Taco with Guacatillo!

I also wanna give you this delicious recipe for Guacatillo! My favorite salsa/sauce(?). I got this recipe from Chef Dopp's Cookbook:

Guacatillo (Tomatillo Avocado Salsa)

5-6 Tomatillos (lime size)
2-3 Avocados
1/2 Onion
1-2 Jalepenos
1-2 bunches Cilantro
1 garlic clove
1 1/2 TBSP Lime juice
Salt

Blend and eat!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment