Thursday, April 14, 2011

Prayer Flags

"A prayer flag is a colorful panel of rectangular cloth, often found strung along mountain ridges and peaks high in the Himalayas. They are used to bless the surrounding countryside and for other purposes."
 -Wikipedia
 
I looked up from pulling weeds in my soon to be garden, the sun was beating down, my back was aching, and there was a nice breeze cutting through my backyard. I could only think that some prayer flags wafting in the breeze might ease the heat and the pain in my back. I stewed on the idea for a few days, doing late night research sessions on them and finding some amazing examples. This was my favorite: Mouse House Art.

I cut out some rectangles of cloth from my scraps of fabric and laid them out to be painted on by me and my daughter! Here's some of our flags: 


Our Prayer Flags


We let them dry before sewing them together with some thick thread and tying them between the clotheslines. It was few days before I sewed them together... maybe a week or so :P so they were very dry.

Everyone reach for the Flags!


I had wanted to hang them from the patio to the tree but it wasn't long enough and it also seemed like something I shouldn't do... you know balance on the chair and reach to tie something on the tree... nope. So I tied them between the clotheslines because it needs some color over there. Its a play area it should be colorful and fun. My Girl loves them there too. She kept saying she needed a mickey mouse tool to help her reach them!


I want to hang something in the middle of the line but I haven't figured out what yet... any suggestions? I'll definitely be doing this again!  It was fun to paint them and it was fun to watch them. Plus, It adds a bit of color. But the best part is the positive vibrations its sending to my garden and my community and that carries on all that wind we get.

No comments:

Post a Comment