Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fudgy Chocolate Brownies



I have been meaning to make brownies forever! But the heat, and the... laziness seemed to just get in my way. I mean who can argue with a House MD marathon? And somewhere there's always a House MD marathon that needs watching IMHO! But I bought these giant chocolate bars (14.1 oz) from Fresh and Easy, when they were only a dollar! They go on sale for that price every December for the holidays. I used to work there so I am saavy to that kinda stuff. They make great gifts and are great for baking! So be sure to stock up then!

Anyway, I really wanted to make brownies and feel productive so I grabbed one of my many cookbooks. Betty Crocker's Old Fashioned Cookbook! and flipped to the brownie recipe. I mean when I think of brownies, I think of like Grandma's brownie (though my grandma never made brownies...) I guess I'd like to imagine if she did they'd be this old fashioned, passed down, tried and true recipe, that didn't give a lick about calories or crazy amounts of sugar, and made the whole house smell like the walls were dipped in chocolate. So I picked this recipe which might have been thought up in the 80's by the Betty Crocker folks but I am gonna pretend Mrs. Crocker wrote it herself way way back when. Don't shatter my world please.

Ingredients

1/2 C. Butter
12 oz of Semisweet Chocolate
1 1/2 C. Sugar
1 1/4 C. Flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 C. coarsely chopped nuts

1. Heat oven to 350F.
2. Grease rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches.
3. Heat butter and 1 C. of chocolate (8 oz) in a 3-quart sauce pan over low heat, stirring constantly until melted
4. Stir in sugar, flour, vanilla, baking powder, salt, and eggs until smooth.
5. Stir in remaining chocolate (4 oz, 1/2 C.)
6. Spread in pan.
7. Sprinkle with nuts.
8. Bake about 30 minutes or until center is set; cool completely.
9. Cut into about 2 x 1 1/2 inch bars.
10. Store tightly covered.

These brownies have a kinda toffee essence that is Alicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment