Thursday, April 19, 2012

Happy Roasted Seaweed Snack


The Sea's Gift. Totally. Roasted and Sea salted Nori. Its absolutely amazing! When My Girl was 2 or so we started giving her these as a snack. The nutritional benefits of Nori are amazing.

  • 30-50% of Nori is protein
  • Rich in Iron
  • Good source of nutritional Iodine for a happy thyroid
  • Vitamin B1, A, E, C, and something called niacin (which makes your cholesterol the good kind.)
  • Calcium, Zinc, Selenium, and Copper
  • Omega-3 fatty acids for a razor sharp brain and for smacking heart disease and stroke in the face!
All this good stuff and its high in fiber (which gets super important as you get older...) and low in calories (YAY!). Anyway, we gave her the nori snack and she loves it! She wants to eat 2-3 packs a day. My Girl loves them, Jorg loves them, I love them, and My Guy will probably love them! But for all its awesomeness. Its expensive! Each of these snack packs is .89 cents for .7 oz.

SAY WHAT?! 

Okay, it doesn't sound like a lot for one pack. But I have become a cheapskate, in certain respects. I gots to saves the money, yo! Let's do the math: 
      Let's say one pack per teeth-bearing-family-member for a day, so 3 a day...

                                                                     3 x .89= 2.67/day
                                                                2.67 x 7= 18.69/week
                                                              18.69 x 4=  74.76/month

I could go on but nobody likes math... I mean look at the bad news it just gave me. 74.76 a month for a snack!!!??!? I can't do that I got a lien on my soul for the gasoline Jorg bought today. There has to be a better way to get my family the nutrition they need at the price I can afford! (I feel so "commercially" saying that but seriously, yo!)



Well, it took me longer than I would like to admit (about 2 years) to finally realize I could do it myself. I could buy Sushi Nori, cut it, toast it,salt it and BAM!!! And its really that simple. The packs of sushi nori can make about 60 nori snacks. It gets too complicated for me as far as math... I hate it too but I can tell you I save alot more money on the nori snacks and I have the satistfaction of hearing, "Oh I declare, this is the best Nori  Snack West of the Mississippi. I believe it gave me the vapors," to which a say "thank you, Colonel Sanders," Cause apparently, he eats over often. 



This takes about 5 minutes of prep and cooking (if your oven doesn't take 20 minutes to start warming up.)
It may serve more... but it serves the 3 of us just fine.

Ingredients
  1. Sheets of Seaweed
  2. 1 Tbs. of toasted sesame oil 
  3. 2 Tbs. Sea Salt (grind the coarse stuff up)
How  you make Nori Snacks!
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees
  2. On a cookie sheet lay out the sheets of seaweed. Lightly and ooooohhhh so gently brush them with the amazingly delicious toasted sesame oil on both sides. Be gentle.
  3. Sprinkle to your general likeness with sea salt.
  4. Bake for 5 minutes
  5. Take it out if it is dry, slightly crisp, and a little darker. 
  6. Let it cool and then cut the sheets into rectangles and enjoy!!!
In a short while, My Guy will be enjoying it. He just cut his first tooth!!! Congrats boy o!


Have a Happy Roasted Kim Nori Snack Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment