Monday, February 10, 2014

Homeschool Preschool and Learning Projects!


I love teaching my kiddos! I love seeing the little lights go on, the minds wrapping around big concepts, and seeing them use what they have learned. My Boy latches onto certain things and becomes obsessed with learning about them! My Girl at his age loved everything to do with ladybugs so I used ladybug's dot to teach adding and number sequencing. Everything we learned was through ladybugs in someway or another. But in the age of My Boy, his interests are more concretely based. He loves counting numbers and in the past couple months, he has fallen in love with the Alphabet, mostly thanks to Super Why! Here's a small snippet of what we do during the day for his preschool homeschool.



I like to use sticker books because my kids love stickers! Who doesn't? (Confession: I don't like them because them end up on my walls or tile floors sometimes... cursed stickers!) I think it really helps with his gross motor skills, pincher skill, and building vocabulary. This sticker book is all about animals. We work together and its a nice structured time together!


The Dollar Tree has a whole collection of these sticker books/activity books. We finished the Alphabet sticker and decided to move on to the Animal book. The only issues I have with these books is the stickers are quite delicate and hard to get off the sticker sheet and some of the words they choose are odd. See the "U" square in the book. One of the words is "uncle" which is a bizarre choice and slightly confusing.




After the sticker book we move onto the planets of our solar system. He likes looking for letters I pick on the back of the placemat. We haven't gone over the stuff on the back. It is a bit much for him at this time.


He is learning to name all the planets. I put a cheerio on each one and we name them. He is getting very close to knowing them all by sight. I also use flashcards or the planets hanging from the ceiling in their room.


Then its time for some coloring, cleaning and finally baking! Kids love to help bake. We read the recipe together and he helps measure and pour the ingredients in. I love to let him cut the butter up!


Then we watch it mix in the bread maker because I let it do the mixing, kneading, and rising for me. We pop it into the oven after that!

 

When My Girl gets home from school, we listen to 3 school house rock songs: Nouns, Verbs, and The Preamble. They have the Preamble down by now and its way cute to her them recite it! We do homework, chores, snack, and then move onto My Girls special project: Learning all 50 states. There is a 50 states that rhyme song we use. I'll get more into this activity later. But she's keen to finish it soon so she can move on to learning all the presidents!

If you want your kids to learn the presidents or states or solar system, these placemats are stellar!!! I love them! I found these at K-mart for about 2.50 each and amazon has tons more (periodic table, water cycle, etc.) They are very effective with repetition and I find them using them on their own a lot! All the books with the placemats I found at the dollar tree or in the dollar sections at target.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I miss my son being this little,and homeschooling him.He is now 17, and I am still homeschooling, Sad to think next year will be our last year :(
    Popping in from
    http://oursimplelife2015.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete