Growth through Golf

 Yesterday, after well over 5 weeks and 1,000 balls at the driving range. I hit the golf ball. It made that solid cracking noise and sailed through the air landing way off in the distance. I was almost in shock as I turned around to look at my husband, who had for weeks been patiently biting his tongue while I tried to figure out how to hit the ball. He wanted so badly to teach and tell me how. But I'm a visual and kinetic learner. His instruction and corrections would only lead to frustration and probably a fight. I looked back to see his eyes wide too! Finally! Its been years and years, hell I can't even remember the last time I took the time to learn something I had zero skill or knowledge in. I went from missing to the ball consistently or hitting the turf and barely getting the ball to go at all when I managed to find it with the club. I practiced and tried and had fun learning and adjusting. I felt so full in that moment. And then... I turned to look back at the rest of the balls. Would I be able to do it again? What if it was a fluke? I set the other ball down and tried to recreate my last stance, stand back, don't bend my arm. And pow, it flew again. I hit most of the balls. That beautiful cracking noise of the club meeting the ball and sending it off! It's been a long time that I've felt I have earned something. That I put the time and effort in and seen the fruits of my labor. I've recently felt like I'm floundering, directionless, and pointless. My kids are older now and need less of me. They aren't interested and occupied by my direction or activities anymore. Finding my new place in the family that isn't a cleaner and cook has been a difficult transition for me. I gave up my individuality and hobbies to nurture them. Now I find myself kinda lost. This really gave me a boost. Its a simple thing. Hitting a golf ball but it sure meant so much to me.

Comments